Before Christmas break, I did a mini guidance lesson with my kiddos. I was trying to curtail a little drama. Drama in middle school? Is the Pope Catholic?
The lesson was focused on self-empowerment and building self esteem. The message was simple, "How do you want to leave this school? What do you want people, teachers, friends, to remember about you after you move on to high school?"
The task even simpler. I presented a list of positive and negative character traits. The girls had to fill in the blank... "I'm the girl who is/was (BLANK)!"
Well now that we're back, I'm trying to incorporate all of their answers into a wordle picture. I'm going to print a banner and hang it in the hallway as a reminder to the girls that each day they get a new start to be the girl who is _________.
Tears filled my eyes as I read some of their answers. Each tally mark I made was uplifting.
It got me thinking.
(You know it's a good guidance lesson when the presenter even stops to reflect. Insert toot, toot here:))
What character trait do I want people to remember me by?
I thought long and hard.
I wanted it to apply to all aspects of my life. I wanted it to mean as much to me in 10 years as it does now. I chose a great word!
The girl who is... Hopeful.
Yep, I like hopeful. No, check that, I love the word hopeful.
I am the girl who is hopeful. Hopeful for God's plan. Hopeful for His timing. Hopeful that my troubles will be a testimony to someone else. Hopeful that in this life I glorify Him. Hopeful that great things are to come. Hopeful that I will feel His presence no matter what. Hopeful that people see me as someone who is tackling life with enthusiasm. Etc, etc, etc!
What would your word be?
No comments:
Post a Comment