Saturday, January 29, 2011

Test Driving!

My 4 runner is dead! My faithful and loyal car of 9 years is no more. Why?

Because I'm idiot!

I'm very thankful Mopac and I are alive and not hurt! My car, that's a different story.

On Sunday, Mopac and I were travelling to Pet Smart to get her nails grinded. She's like a tiger with those claws. Well, it was misty and the roads were nice and slick. I was coming around a corner, and my back tires hit some wet mud on the road. I started to fishtail. Like a goober, I reacted by hitting the brakes.

Bad idea...

I went into a skid. My back end flipped around and my car is completely out of control. Terrifying experience I don't want to go through again. Well my front end hits the curb on the side of the road, blows out my front driver side tire and then teeter totters like a see saw. In slow motion, my car flipped on its side.

Yah, I'm really lucky it wasn't a multiple flip, or I wasn't going any faster. I remember thinking when my car was in mid flip, "Man this sucks!" We landed with a thud, and I immediately started panicking. I saw Mopac fly across the car out of the corner of my eye. I started yelling her name. She hit the window in the backseat, but thankfully is a light weight and didn't fly through.

I'm pretty sure I would have to be admitted to Shoal Creek if something happened to her. I love her so much, and I couldn't have taken the guilt if I did something to her. It has been such a tough last couple of months, I couldn't have taken that. I'm so thankful the Lord kept us both safe.

Immediately I had about 6 people surround my car, banging on windows, talking to me, etc. I crawled out of the back hutch and handed Mopac over to a very kind lady until I gathered my thoughts.

I kept saying, "Is Mopac okay? I need to know Mopac is alright." The man helping me was very concerned about my health at this point. He kept telling me to please sit down. I vehemently was still inquiring if Mopac was alright. Nice lady, bring me my dog back! He said firmly, "M'am, EMS wants you to stay seated. I think you hit your head."

P: I didn't hit my head. I'm fine. I'd feel better if I knew Mopac was alright.
Man: M'am We are not on Mopac. We are on 620. And I'm not sure why you care how the road is doing.

Classic mix-up!

P: Sir my dog is named Mopac. I know where I'm at.

I'm doing fine. My hip was a little sore at first from where my seat belt held me in the car. Mopac is great! I was mainly concerned about her (unbelievable according to the man who thought I was nuts!)

I'm very scared to drive right now. I don't think I want a SUV for awhile. For the first time I felt unsafe in my car. The police officer (who loved Mopac by the way) said if I would have been in a car, I wouldn't have flipped. I was top heavy! Not me, my car. Never had that problem.

I think I'm good with the excitement in my life for awhile. I wish I could walk around in bubble wrap. I drive my rental car at an average of 35 mph. Do I care there are usually a minimum of 5 cars behind me probably swearing and thinking I'm 90 years old? NOT.AT.ALL! Suck it fast drivers!

Were they cussing the day I accidentally hit a button on the steering wheel (who knew they had buttons on those things? My 2000 4 runner had no such luxuries)that changed my mph feature to km per hour. Whoa! Was that scary! It was saying 70! I thought I was crawling. So I slowed down to 50 km per hour. A snail passed me, and I had a line of about 20 cars behind me through a series of winding roads. I was panicking and about to burst into tears thinking this rental car was possessed. I'm pretty sure I could have power walked faster than this 50 that showed up on my dash. I finally figured it out that I was in kilometers and not miles much to the relief of now about 30 cars behind me.

Do I care they were cussing at me?

NOT.AT.ALL! Suck it fast drivers!

So to sum it all up, I'm test driving cars. Cars that are low to the ground. Cars that aren't top heavy. Cars that won't flip as easily. Cars that will probably hydroplane when it rains. Cars that will have dents and dings on my bumper when I hit curbs. Cars...I love those things! I will be getting a new vehicle in a week!

And Mopac still has claws that are probably curling at this point. Pick her up at your own discretion. You should probably have a back belt to avoid back leg scratches.

3 comments:

  1. We are are so glad to hear you are ok! This post is my favorite..."classic mixup..." probably my favorite line. Or "suck it fast drivers," again thankful you are both safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary!!! Glad you and Mopac are okay. Patrick and I were laughing so hard once we read you were fine :) Can't wait to see the new ride...post pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm glad there was some humor in the whole fiasco. Allison definitely will post pictures when I get it!

    ReplyDelete