Thursday, January 12, 2012

How It All Went Down...

I'm behind with posts.

But I want to get this one written before I forget. Childbirth is something you want to forget.


My sweet Campbell knew I had big things planned on my first weekend home for Christmas vacation.

On Saturday, we drove to West to celebrate the wedding of our dear friends, Chris and Andrea. Rands was a smokin' hot groomsmen, and he was thrilled to get to sit out on all the dancing. He was babysitting his very pregnant wife. We didn't spend the night since I was so close to having Campbell. I didn't want to deliver in Waco.

I did however get a West kolache. I have to say I'm partial to Weikel's bakery kolaches. They were good, but not LaGrange good.

Sunday, Jana and I saw the "Beauty and the Beast" Broadway show. It was the most anticipated show of this season (according to Penny). Thank you Campbell for letting me sing "Be our Guest" all evening long.
Who's ready for the 3D production?!?!?!?!

Monday I was able to get in all of my Christmas shopping. I was exhausted by 5 o'clock. My goal was to wrap presents that evening. Well, I kinda got side tracked.

I started feeling strange around 9:30. I have had so many Braxton Hicks contractions, I sorta dismissed these weird pains.

Well around 10:00 I mentioned to Randy that something isn't right. The cramps were happening lower in my stomach than before.

Calm and cool Randy was playing Playstation, Madden to be exact. He was in the third quarter. His response, "Well just monitor it and start counting the time."

This means he wanted to finish his game.

I went with it because I just knew I wasn't going in to labor. Well by 10:30, the pains were coming every 6 minutes apart. After packing my bag (yes, I still hadn't completely finished that task) we were driving to the hospital. At 11 pm I was doing those handy dandy breathing exercises between talking to Nana and Mimi. Randy texted my mom and said "Standby, contractions are coming sooner and sooner."

"Stand by" to my mom means load the car as fast as you can and put it in drive. My dad told her, "Mary, wait until morning. My momma cows go into labor all the time in the middle of the night and labor for hours. She won't have it until sometime tomorrow."

Yes, my dad compared me to a momma cow. Thanks Dad, thanks.

"Wait, what do you mean I'm not very far along!!!!" After being checked, I was told we are going to monitor things for about an hour or so. "Please don't send me home!"

Don't go anywhere friends because there's a kicker. I was running a temperature. The reason? Those blasted contractions. I was getting so hot, and a temperature means an automatic hospital admittance.

Thank you very much!

Somewhere in the middle of the night, the pain of the contractions were unbearable. I was progressing and my mood had turned sour.

I'm pretty sure I snapped at Randy and my mom. Then the drugs came.

I was so glad to have Randy, Mimi, Nana, and Courtney witness the effects of drugs. I don't do well on them. I become crazy. This drug called Sedol (sp?)was the best thing on earth. I loved it!!! I was hilarious. We have a video of my antics to savor this special moment. Courtney told me she never laughed so hard in her life. We're not sharing it anytime soon. Maybe one day. Maybe.

The epidural happened sometime between 3-4. I'm not such a fan. I don't think mine worked too swell because I still felt tons of pain during this whole process. I'll spare you the details, but I should have just gone with a second helping of that miracle drug, Sedol.

At 5:35, Campbell entered the world. I pushed for 50 minutes. Dr. Hinds held her up and said, "It's a girl." I said, "Thank goodness it's over." He told me first babies usually don't go that well. Praise God!

I am very thankful for a safe and quick delivery. Campbell is nothing short of perfect. Randy entered the waiting room to announce it's a girl!!!

I think everything after that moment feels like a blur. We didn't get any sleep that night and the trend is still continuing:)


But I wouldn't trade it for the world. Here are some hospital pictures...

Our first picture together...




My pretty girl...



My whole world in one picture...



Dr. Hinds!!! I love, love, love him. He's such a caring doctor. He called me a week after I delivered to check on me and to let me know how great I did through the whole birth. He told me that he'll miss Randy and me in our weekly appointments, and he's glad he has one couple who doesn't want to find out the gender currently. He said, "I can play this game well." And he does, he would purposefully leave wrong clues to throw Randy:)
Seriously, this man is the best. I even have his personal cell phone number. He gave it to me at my first appointment in case I would have a complication or an emergency. What doctors do that? Luckily, I never needed to use it. He's beyond impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment