I'm back folks! So I've been super busy with life, work, work, and did I mention work? As Randy always says, "Excuses are like butts. Everyone has them, and they all stink." It's been a whole week since my last post. This is the longest I've been away, and I actually miss blogging. My sincerest apologies. If you would like to continue to see frequent posts on the blog shoot my husband an "Penny needs to quit her job and post all day on her blog" email. It's a long post because it's so overdue!
I am thrilled with my most recent antiquing experience. Don't you groan! Antiques are fun!
Let's begin by discussing one of the top 5 largest antique festivals in the world. (I totally made that statistic up, but it could be....it's a huge fair!) I'm only talking about the Round Top/Warrenton antique festival. Umm hello, it was even mentioned in the March edition of the Martha Stewart Magazine. (two points for me...antiques and Martha all in the same post)
Well my fabulous friend Leslie and I made the journey down to the junk haven on Saturday. I had one goal in mind.....
Locate this beautiful milk glass cake stand. I want one to showcase my food network lemon bars!I love milk glass. It's just so classic. I have been eyeing several milk glass patterns in search for a beautiful cake stand to showcase these little lemon wonders. I am going to award myself with a third point in the coolness factor by saying I found this beauty at the Round Rock Antique Mall. It was NOT on sale! I was completely bummed and not about to fork over $58 bucks. Can you believe it? It must be really old!
So Leslie and I head off to locate my treasure, browse with the other folks, and enjoy an overpriced frozen lemonade.
We were running out of energy when all of a sudden in the china/crystal/expensive booth, I spotted it! I think these booths are the sole reason for the fanny pack. My purse almost got me in trouble a couple of times throughout the day. Anywho, I saw the coveted stand. Out of all the junk there, they had the one item I wanted. It was a sign. The price tag read $50 dollars. Ughhh booger, I want to save more than just 8 bucks.
P: "Leslie, I should barter, right?"
L: "Definitely" She's used to this statement coming from her hubby and not me:)
P: "Should I say $40?"
L: "The worst is they'll say no."
Okay, so palms sweating. I pick it up several times. I hold it up to the sunlight to give off that "I know what I'm looking for look. The I do this every time I examine milk glass image." I basically wanted to put them on notice that I was noticing their good.
P: "Would you take $40?" oh no, oh no, he'll say $45 or worse the cheapo will go down 2 bucks and say $48....oh no
Vendor: "SURE"
Wait why didn't he pause? Why didn't he ponder over that extremely low offer I made? Why did he jump all over that price? Rats, rats, rats! I should have said $30. Did I even get a good deal? My once thought "low" offer makes me a genuine sucker. At this point, it's too late to say, "umm did I say 40, I meant $30."
Well it's still a good deal from the Round Rock antique mall price right? We're talking about a savings of $18.00.
I was still on top of the world as I handed over my money. I can't believe I found the exact item I wanted. I could barely contain my excitement, so of course I call Randy to tell him how excited I am. Here's how this conversation went....
R: "Wait, what's a cake stand?"
P: I explain that I will be using it for my lemon bars.
R: "Do we even like lemon bars?"
"Do we like lemon bars?" Huh what a stupid question. Of course we do! Especially when they're on a pretty stand.
P: "I got a great deal. I only paid $40."
R. "What?!!?!!? Ya'll should leave right now. Forty dollars for a plate thing we'll never use."
Ummmm I think he forgot that we will be using it when I make the lemon bars.....Hello, sometimes he just doesn't listen.
P: "I saved almost twenty bucks because I bought it here instead of in Round Rock."
R: "Penny you wasted that and more on gas to drive down there."
Hmmm, hmmm, hmmmm
Practical people are such bubble busters! And they make terrible shopping partners which is why Randy stayed behind. Thank you Leslie for being proud of my haggling skills.
P: "Randy, it is an antique. It will increase in value over the years. It could be worth a $100 soon!"
I'm pretty sure this important fact earns me my 4th point in our little game.
Hooray for finding my treasure!
haha. you crack me up. it was a pleasure to make the trip with you. and remember, you stack it deep, we'll sell it cheap. good times!
ReplyDeleteOh man I totally should have put the man who almost burned his "king of quilts" with his cigarette.....he was great!
ReplyDeleteyou and randy crack me up. yall should be some sort of tv show, i've decided.
ReplyDelete