Tuesday, August 17, 2010

good-bye summer

Well it's official. School starts on Monday. This summer has been a tough one. I'm not going to be little miss debbie downer and reminisce on all the ups and downs. Because for some reason there are way more downs lately than ups. But God gives us what we need to grow. If it was easy, everyone would do it. We find our true selves in the face of adversity. Being brave is not facing a challenge, but getting back up after you fall down. Could I list any more cliches? I've officially become the chicken soup lady.


I am going to talk about all the things I'm proud of that I've accomplished in the last 2.5 months.

-wisdom tooth removal (this sucked!) However, I am still thoroughly enjoying the curved syringe that I use to flush out the pockets aka big fat holes in my jaw. I know it's gross, but it's so satisfying to see food pieces after you spit. Yuck but rewarding at the same time.

-my prayer journal!!! Blogging helps when I'm trying to express myself, but I do have a filter. My filter is my prayer journal. (Some people need to learn that the Internet is not a dumping ground for all of your biz. I'll probably need to write about this in my prayer journal because this little jab is probably not very nice.)

I love that my prayers are becoming more personal. He knows me. I'm a real person, and not a remote prayer-er. Sure I love the whole "now I lay me down to sleep" vibe, but it's not me. I even told God a joke in my journal. I'm pretty sure He laughed!

-figuring out the master schedule....I've changed a gazillion schedules in the last month. My brain hurts so badly at the end of the day. It's like one of those awful LSAT logic puzzles. "This kid can't be in 2nd period band because of Spanish. Spanish is full. Let's look at 9th period. Well if you look at Athletics. Maybe I can cross-team them." Barf! It's such a mind game. But I'm getting faster at it every day. I've learned so much in a month. I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go, but I'm celebrating my small success.

-I now have a big grown up "city-fied" bank account. I opened up an account at a big-girl bank. Sure I love my small town bank in my hometown, but do they have debit cards that allow pictures? That's a big fat no. My sweet little Mopac smiles at me every time I swipe my card. She's practically wagging her tail at me to buy things.


Off to bed! Busy week ahead....tomorrow night is 6th grade open house until 9pm. Whoa!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Penny... I know it's been a tough summer. I'm praying for His peace for you- that you'll never feel alone. I love that you told God a joke in your prayer journal... only Penny! :)
    Love you and thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, you make me laugh. i totally appreciate the wisdom teeth comment... perhaps that's because i just lived through that too. and i appreciate the fact that you told God a joke. i'd bet he laughed too. :)

    ReplyDelete