Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Patient and Best Recipe Ever

Spring Break is well, almost gone:(

I have spent the majority of my time being Nurse Penny. Mopac lost her womanhood on Monday. That's right, after her Mimi scored her own very Westie, we told Mopac no more diapers twice a year. It's quite disgusting. She's adjusting well since I'm doing such a good job in the care taking department. She's moving much much slower since the snip, so the squirrels are enjoying a little bit of backyard freedom in her condition.

Since I can't sit still longer than 10 minutes, I have enjoyed trying some new recipes over the break. I subscribe to only the most happening magazines. Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray, and the Food Network magazines visit my mailbox once a month. Who needs beauty tips, relationship advice, and fashion? That stuff just makes you feel bad. If I want to feel guilty it needs to be over the fact of, "I should have used less butter in this or I need to go to the gym now." If I'm going to feel bad about something, I want it to at least taste good.

Wow this post is making me sound more and more suitable for "Over-eaters Anonymous."

So Martha printed this incredible, unbelievable, delectable, scrumptious quick bread recipe ever. You MUST try this. I never try to sell recipes this much, but this one is a keeper. I even branched out and splurged on the real vanilla bean pods.

Tip: These are located next to the bananas in the produce. Do not buy the ones in the spice aisle in that little bitty jar.

The vanilla pod scavenger hunt ensued for about 10 minutes with a HEB workers help. Man I hate asking for help at HEB. She triumphantly returned with this little bitty jar with 1 pod. She had a huge grin on her face as she reported she found it and the price was 8 dollars. EIGHT DOLLARS!!!! FOR ONE POD! Oh I was about to shame Martha and use imitation. But don't give up friends, politely smile and accept the jar of gold and place it on the shelf when she turns around. Next go find your banana section in the produce. I found a bag of 2 bean pods for 4 dollars. Expensive still? Yes, but so worth it.


Clementine Vanilla Bean Quick Bread

Ingredients

Makes one 5-by-9-inch loaf.

* 10 clementines or tangerines
* 3/4 cup heavy cream
* 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
* 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped, pod reserved for another use
* 2 large eggs


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan. Zest 4 clementines to yield 1 tablespoon zest. Juice 2 zested clementines and 6 remaining unzested clementines to yield 3/4 cup juice. Cut pith from 2 remaining zested clementines. Slice fruit along membranes to release segments into a bowl; discard membranes and any seeds.
2. Combine 1/4 cup clementine juice, the cream, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in another bowl.
3. Beat zest, butter, 1 cup sugar, and the vanilla seeds with a mixer on medium speed until combined, about 4 minutes. With machine running, add eggs, 1 at a time. Reduce speed to low, and beat flour mixture into butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
4. Fold clementine segments into mixture, and pour into pan. Gently smooth top using an offset spatula.
5. Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Meanwhile, bring remaining 1/2 cup clementine juice and cup sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes.
6. Remove bread from oven, poke top all over with a skewer, and brush with half the clementine syrup. Transfer pan to a wire rack; let cool for 15 minutes. Invert pan to remove bread. Let cool completely on wire rack, top side up.
7. Brush remaining clementine syrup onto sides and again on top of bread. (Bread can be stored, wrapped, at room temperature overnight or refrigerated for up to 5 days.)

1 comment:

  1. Mmm... that does sound good. I hate asking for help at HEB too. I probably would have skipped the recipe if I couldn't find the ingredient right off. Or I would have asked my food-crazy friend Penny if she knew where I could find it. :)

    ReplyDelete