Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Money Talk

We are officially becoming old.

We met with a financial advisor.

We are responsible people.

A couple of months ago, we created a budget. I don't even want to talk about it.

But I do have to give us some credit. We are doing well with it. When I say "we," I mean me. Randy could pinch a nickel. I needed a little more discipline and the budget helps keep me in check. I guess it's a good thing. I guess...

Well since we are about to be parents, we have some changes that need to be made in addition to adding a "daycare" column in the budget. We also need life insurance! We want to make sure Little Lueders has plenty of opportunities available to him/her if something were to happen to Randy or me.

We were referred to a very sweet man who was tasked with three goals. I laid out the goals because I'm super solution-focused. I wanted to get in there at 6:30 and leave by 8 pm.

1) Set up a life-insurance policy.
2) Discuss retirement plans and options for investments.
3) Discuss and set up a college fund for Little Lueders to attend the greatest university in the world (insert hook'em here!)

Well at 8:30, we still didn't have anything accomplished. It was the most boring 2 hours of my life.

Oh my goodness, I hate finances. I hate discussing budgets, pre-taxes, interest rates, etc. And this guy was plum nuts about discussing all these different options. He wanted to start from square one! Square one was "the value and importance of saving money."

We know. That's why we were there.

My head was spinning. My back was throbbing, and I couldn't get comfortable in my wooden chair of comfort. I even went to the restroom in mid-discussion just so I would have something more fun to do.

He was intense. He was drawing pictures of cash registers, bank bags, and step ladders. I wish we were playing "Win, lose, or draw" instead. I love that game.

But instead the pictures were to prove another boring money saving principal.

Then he moved on to analogies.

He started comparing saving money to "Jurasic Park."

How do dinosaurs relate to money? Maybe it has to do something with extinction? I never quite got the analogy. The only thing that peaked my interest was when he said that T-Rex could be named IRS-asaurus.

What in tarnation was he talking about?

Randy is going to meet with him on his own for the next steps.

I think this will be best. Just tell me where to sign. Although I will be sad if he has more prehistoric money creature stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment