Monday, February 1, 2010

Soup's On!

I love soup! French onion, tortilla, and tomato basil are my top faves.

I even love Ramen. Really, who likes Ramen?

I do, pick me, I love it! I buy Ramen once a week at the grocery store, and I'm not even in college.

Here's one of my favorite soup recipes. It's delicious and super fast. Twenty minutes max to assemble. Randy doesn't like soup, and he'll even eat this one.

It's from the Ortega Mexican Meals cookbook. It was a recipe contest finalist even!


Chicken Enchilada Soup


2 Tbsps. cornstarch
2 Tbsps. water
1 carton (32 oz.) chicken broth
1/2 lb. (2 cups) cooked, chopped chicken breast meat (I cheat and buy a rotisserie chicken. I also shred the chicken. I think it absorbs the flavor better than chunks.)
1 can (15 ox.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (I use Rotel)
1 can (11 oz.) Mexican-style corn, drained
1 bottle (8oz.) Ortega taco sauce
1 cup (1 large) chopped red bell pepper (omit if you have a picky Randy like I do)
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro (I use way more, take a big handful and twist off the bunch!)

I also add a 1/2 diced onion, 2 jalopeno peppers diced (seeds and all, we are not sissies at this house), shakes of garlic powder and shakes of cumin).

Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl. Stir together chicken broth, chicken, beans, tomatoes, corn, taco sauce, pepper, chiles, and cornstarch (and the Penny extras if you choose to do so) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Add cilantro.

Garnish with avocado slices, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips.

Makes 6-8 servings.

Muy bien!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe is getting a lot of love on facebook tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete